In the spirit of celebrating SA Harvest’s fourth anniversary on World Food Day and coinciding with the United Nations’ Food & Agricultural Organisation’s theme of ‘Water is Food, Water is Life,’ we’re excited to share water-saving tips to ignite children’s creativity for the SA Harvest poster contest. With one week left to enter, there’s still plenty of time to unleash your artistic talents and share your ideas for a sustainable future where no-one is left behind.
Water is a precious resource that we all depend on, and your actions, big or small, can have a significant impact. Here are some hints and tips to inspire you as you design your posters:
- Save water: Make the most of every drop. Water your plants with the water you use to wash your vegetables. When you boil or steam your veggies, don’t toss that water away; it’s full of nutrients. Let it cool and use it to nourish your plants. And remember, don’t let the tap run when cleaning veggies and preparing food.
- Eat local and seasonal foods: Opt for in-season fruits and vegetables; they require less water to produce.
- Eat more fresh foods: Fresh foods are not only healthier but also use less water in their production compared to processed options.
- Reduce food waste: It takes a lot of water to produce and to get it from the field to our plate. Lost and wasted food also means wasted water.
- Don’t pollute water: Don’t pour food waste, oils, medicines, or chemicals down the toilet or drains.
- Protect nature: Collect and store rainwater for watering plants during drier seasons.
- Clean up: Join local clean-up efforts in rivers, lakes, or wetlands to preserve our water bodies.
- Speak up: Share the water-saving actions you take with your family, friends, and community. Your voice can inspire others.
Remember, every action you take counts, and together, we can make a real difference. Join the movement to protect our precious water resources and ensure a better future for all.
How to Enter
You still have one week to enter the poster contest and show your support for water conservation. To participate, go to https://saharvest.org/world-food-day-poster-contest-2023/ and let your creativity flow. Time is running out, so don’t miss your chance to make a splash in this exciting competition. The poster contest is open to anyone aged 5 to 19 in different categories, with one grand prize and hampers and other goodies for winners in each category. Entries close on 31 October.
You have to be in it to win it! By entering the contest, you open the door to an incredible opportunity – the chance to win a weekend retreat to Durban for a family of four, complete with airfare from Lift Airlines, a two-night stay with breakfast included, and unforgettable experiences that will create lasting memories for your entire family. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by!
Join the Conversation
Share your water-saving tips and contest entries on social media using #LeaveNoOneBehind, #saharvest #WorldFoodDay.
Stay connected with us on Facebook and Instagram @saharvest.
Every drop counts, and together, we can create a more sustainable world. Join us in making a positive impact today.