CALLING ALL YOUNG PEOPLE
Are you 5 – 19 years old? Design a poster showing a world where no one is left behind and everyone has access to healthy and affordable food.
What comes to mind when you try to imagine a world where everyone has access to food and water? Your actions can also contribute to a sustainable future. Join the World Food Day Poster Contest and show your creativity by designing a poster of your water action for food. Remember, it’s about spreading an important message: “Water is Food, Water is Life.”
Water is a precious natural resource, vital for food and all of nature.
With growing global challenges such as an increasing population, global warming, and the ever-increasing production of goods and services, our water supply is at risk. It is estimated that globally a staggering 250 cubic kilometres of water is used annually on food that is ultimately wasted at a cost of billions of dollars. In South Africa it is crucial that we solve the problem of food waste, not only to address food security but also to conserve water resources.
SA Harvest is drawing attention to the importance of systemic solutions to combat hunger while marking their fourth anniversary on World Food Day 2023.
How to Enter
Take a photo or scan your poster and submit your entry by filling out the form below. What’s more, all entries received will be uploaded to the United Nations (UN) website, giving children automatic entry into both the local competition and the global UN competition. So, even if you don’t win the South African prize, you could still be a winner on a global stage. To get inspired, download the UN’s educational booklet here.
Entries for the South African competition open on World Food Day (SA Harvest’s birthday), 16 October, and close at midnight on 31 October. SA Harvest will then upload all entries to the FAO website in time for their closing date on 3 November.
Prizes Up For Grabs
The grand prize is a weekend getaway to Durban for four lucky people, including four air tickets on Lift Airlines, two nights of bed and breakfast accommodation, and exciting experiences for the whole family.
There are additional smaller prizes, including delectable hampers of chocolates, coffee vouchers, and other goodies for each of the age categories.
Make a Difference
SA Harvest’s poster contest isn’t just about winning prizes; it’s about spreading awareness of the vital role water plays in our food system. We encourage children and their parents to enter the contest and make a difference. Let’s join hands to inspire the next generation to protect our water and ensure a sustainable future for all.
Who can take part?
- The Contest is open to children and youth between the ages of 5 and 19, living anywhere in the world.
- The age to declare in the entry form is the one at the time of entering the Contest. Minors must have the permission of their parents or legal guardians to participate in the Contest.
How can I take part?
- Participation is free of charge.
- The entry period will begin at 00:00 (CAT) on 16 October 2023 and will close at 23:59 (CAT) on 31 October 2023.
- The competition is divided into the following categories: 5 to 8, 9 to 12, 13 to 15, and 16 to 19.
- Only one entry should be submitted per person. Multiple entries from one person will result in disqualification.
- Poster entries may be drawn, painted or sketched using pens, pencils, crayons or charcoal, or using oil, acrylic or watercolour paint, as well as mixed media. Digitally created artwork is also permitted. No photographs are allowed.
- Poster entries may or may not include text. If text is used, no more than 25 words or 100 characters can be accepted. Do not include personal information, such as names, school names or age, etc.
- All artwork must be original and should not include logos or photographic images of the Contestant or other personal information.
- All participants are encouraged to read about the World Food Day theme in the World Food Day Activity Book. Younger children may want to learn together with a parent or teacher.
- Posters can only be submitted using the entry form provided. All fields in the Contest entry form must be completed and after uploading the poster design, the SUBMIT button must be clicked. Younger children may need help from an adult in making their online submission.
- Only digital files saved as a JPEG will be accepted and submissions must be made through the online form provided – please do not send in physical posters.
From SA Harvest:
- The grand prize is valid for one year
- Each member of the family needs to hold a valid South African ID or Passport
- It is the parent’s responsibility for minors to ensure that any special travel arrangements are made with the relevant parties. Minors need to be accompanied by adults.
- Travel needs to be booked no less than four weeks from the travel date and is subject to availability with the airline and accommodation provider.
- The prize cannot be exchanged for cash.
- Prizes are non-transferable
- The judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
From the FAO:
- 15 posters in each category (60 posters) will be selected for the shortlist by the screening committee and notified in December 2023. Shortlisted candidates will receive a certificate for this achievement.
- Three winning poster designs will be selected as finalists by a jury in each category.
- The top three poster designs in all categories will be announced on the World Food Day website.
- Winners will be promoted on FAO social media and by FAO offices around the world.
- Winners will also receive a Certificate of Recognition and a surprise gift bag.
- In the event that any of the selected winner(s) of any prize is/are ineligible in accordance with these Contest rules and/or the General Rules, Copyright and Privacy, cannot be traced, or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and it will be in the sole discretion of FAO to choose whether to award the prize to another eligible entry.
- When winning posters are published, only the first initial, full family name and country of origin will be published. No other personal information about the Contestants will be published or shared.
Other rules and regulations
Read more about the General Rules, Copyright and Privacy here.